Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Screenwriting Expo Caricatures Pt 1


This past weekend I went to the Pixar Day at the Screenwriting Expo. This was my first time attending and it will probably be my last. One word - CROWDS. I didn't think it was going to be a big deal but as Countfunkula so elegantly put it,"It's like the Comic-Con but without the Star Wars costumes!" There were TONS of people. I saw old friends from Disney, Dreamworks, former students and I even bumped into a friend from the video game industry!!! Yes it was like the Comic Con but without the costumes...and not as smelly thank God. The main lecture room filled up quickly and they had two overflow rooms with video feeds to accomodate the massive throngs. I left a babbling fool with a thumping headache. Understand that I was mainly there to support the Pixar peeps and maybe learn a secret or two about their process. But at the end of the day I learned that assloads of people can only be endured if they are accompanied by comic books, toys, and costumed Star Wars characters. Thanks Pixar peeps for coming down and sharing the secrets of your success.

Here's a little doodle I did of the "Director/Writer Relationship" seminar.
Left to right Andrew Stanton, Dave Reynolds, Dan Gerson, Lee Unkrich, Mike Arndt, Brenda Chapman, Irene Mecchi, and Gary Rydstrom. I tried to get Kiel Murray but she kept looking to her left and I didn't get a good enough look.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to more caricatures! Hope I'm not one of them! ;-)

Jeff said...

Mark? Ronnie? Jason? Jim? Brad? .....ya never know....

John S. said...

fyNice stuff Skrbbs. I particularly like the Irene and MIchael sketches.