Monday, January 16, 2006

Today's strip: End,..kinda


I have been tempted several times to start drawing these on bigger paper, but then I think they'll lose their charm.
Nope. I'll keep doing them on cheap 2"x8" strips of paper. Besides, that's part of the challenge.
I think that one of the reasons I like to do these so much is the freedom. I write what I want and draw what I want. No approvals, no re-dos. I draw whatever I think is funny and then post it. Another reason is that I grew up wanting to draw comic strips. I dreamed of creating the next Calvin and Hobbes, Pogo or Peanuts. That was my original goal. I decided to switch career tracks when I noticed that animation was having a renaissance. This was 1988, and Roger Rabbit was in the movie theaters and Ralph Bakshi and John K's Mighty Mouse was on TV. Comic strips, on the other hand, were dying. And still are, I might add.
It's too bad. The comic strip is one of the few purely American artforms.

7 comments:

Jeff said...

Let's see. Calvin and Hobbes meets Tex Avery meets Sam and Max. I like these characters alot. I just want to see more of them. And the last panel, all I have to say is "Awwwww."

Maddie said...

Robo, keeping the blog alive! God Bless you!
I'm loving these guys. Are they new, or are they characters you've been drawing a while? Really great stuff. All right, enough is enough. I'm posting something today, dammit!

John S. said...

These characters were born the second I drew the first strip. I made them up on the spot. I had nothing in mind in terms of their personalities. I will write a separate post describing the "philosophy" behind their development, because it's a little long winded and will turn into a rant about how we over-develop characters in feature animation.

Jeff said...

I think that it's cool that you're developing them as you go. That way you can try things out and if they don't work you'll get immediate feedback from the peanut gallery. Rock on!!

Maddie said...

10-4 on that Skribbl! Rock on Robo!

John S. said...

Thanks guys!! I will proceed to rock on!

Anonymous said...

Sure, the comic strip is "PURELY AMERICAN" apart from the French, Japanese, English cartoonists who were doing it before the USA. Nice drawing tho'!